Most of us have done some slipping off our health routine between Thanksgiving and the New Year. If you have just run off the shoulder of the road a couple of times or careened over the cliff, now is the time to reset our body for 2017 with these five easy steps:
- Morning Body Wake-up Ritual. Begin each morning with lemon tea: Add the juice of 1/2 organic lemon to a cup of hot water. This simple warm beverage stimulates your liver to kick into detox action.
- Add a Dash of Gratitude. While quietly sipping your lemon tea, recall five things for which you are thankful. The attitude shift can last the whole day.
- Enjoy an infrared sauna session. Infrared heat increases metabolism as it raises your core temperature and mobilizes the lymphatic circulation to hasten detoxification. It is one of my favorite ways to untangle muscle stress and take 45 minutes just for me.
- Drink water, lots of it. Wash out the sugar and sodium intake from holiday foods. How much? Divide your current body weight in half. This is the number of ounces of water you should drink daily for your body size. Add to this number the ounces of dehydrating beverages you’ve consumed such as coffee and alcohol plus some extra to replenish what you loose in exercise or sauna.
- Just move. Don’t jump in to make up for lost exercise during the holidays. Walk, stroll or hike with a friend. Gently commit to moving your body into recovery.
Taking time to reset builds a foundation to succeed in all your resolutions to improve your health in 2017.